|Frequently Asked Questions
- I am interested in becoming a member of AWC, but I don't know what category I qualify for or how to join?
comprehensive membership information and rates are located on the Join Now page in the drop down Membership menu. There, you can either sign up
using the convenient online form, or you can download and print the application and mail or fax it to the national office.
- I do not see an active chapter in my area. Can I still join AWC?
Yes. You are not required to join a chapter as part
of your national membership, however it is beneficial if there is a chapter available. You would be considered an Independent, or un-affiliated,
member. Once you are a member and can access the national directory, you can look up other members in your area and network with them, and
possibly join the effort to start a chapter!
- Are memberships transferrable?
No. Individual memberships are not transferrable, even if the company pays for the membership and the
individual subsequently leaves the company. Their replacement would need to sign up for her own new membership. However companies may choose to
set up a corporate membership.
(See the corporate membership details on the Join Now page.)
- Are memberships prorated and are there specific times of year when I have to sign up?
For professional chapters and Independent student
members, no – your membership renews one calendar year after you sign up. For student members belonging to a student chapter, renewals happen
during two periods during the year (for more information on student chapter renewals, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. )
- What are some of the benefits of membership?
In addition to the networking opportunities that are available with other communicators,
you can attend the annual conference and enter the annual Clarion competition at a discounted member rate, you can contribute to the monthly
newsletter, and participate in our affinity programs. For more detailed information, visit the Benefits of Membership page under the drop-down
- I am a graduate student in communications part-time. Can I qualify for the student rate?
No. The Student rate is only available to
full-time students in undergraduate or graduate degree programs. Doctoral candidates are not eligible for the student rate regardless of whether
they are full-time or part-time.
- How can I start a chapter?
For both professional and student chapters:
- First step - gather a group of at least eight (8) interested individuals who are interested in joining as national members.
- Second step - now that you have gathered this group, send in the Intent to Charter a Chapter form
You can request this and other
startup information by emailing email@example.com.
- Third step - after we have received the form from you, startup materials will be sent to you.
- What is my login information?
Once you are an official AWC member, you will receive your member card, which lists your membership type,
chapter affiliation and member number. Your username is always the first initial of your first name followed by your last name, and your
password is your member number.
- Why isn't the website loading correctly? I don't have all the menus available.
The website is optimized for Internet
Explorer and Netscape browsers. If you are using Firefox or Safari, all features may not be available. We are working on accomodating those
browser types, but the update is not yet complete. Please try again using Explorer or Netscape.